Written by R. Eugene Jackson
Music Adapted and Arranged by Carl Alette
Original Music by Victor Herbert
Based on the Original Play by Glen MacDonough
Produced by Jerri Wiseman
Directed by Scott Olson
Mother Goose Land is all astir over the rivalry between miserly, mean-hearted Uncle Barnaby and young, handsome, gentle Alan for the love of Mistress Mary Quite Contrary. Getting in the act are Jack and Jill, Little Bo Peep, and many other Mother Goose characters, along with Barnaby’s clownish hit men, Roderigo and Gonzorgo. Trying to escape, Alan and Mary have to pass through the dangerous Spider’s Forest. Even in Toyland they are not safe, and the fast action and beautiful music continue.
Auditions will be held
Saturday and Sunday, September 11 and 12 from 1:00 – 3:00pm
Those wishing to audition should sign up for an audition slot here, complete an audition form here, and send their resume and headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Babes in Toyland – (your name)”.
Audition will consist of (Spaced out in 10 min intervals):
- 32 bars of an upbeat song that is not from the show (bring your own backing track)
- Cold readings from the script
Performances will be held at StageCoach Theatre in Ashburn, VA December 11, 12, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23. Actors must be available for ALL performances. Please check your calendar for possible conflicts. Readthrough will be held on Sept. 21. Rehearsals will begin October 4 and are planned for Mon/Tues/Thurs evenings.
Open to ages 18+
- Uncle Barnaby – a rich miser in love with Mistress Mary
- Alan – Barnaby’s nephew, also in love with Mistress Mary
- Mistress Mary Quite Contrary – in love with Alan
- The Widow Piper – Mistress Mary’s mother
- Gonzorgo – a hard-hearted ruffian
- Roderigo – his soft-hearted partner
- The Giant Spider
- The Toymaster
- Grumio – apprentice in the Toymaster’s workshop
- Inspector Marmaduke of the Toyland Police
Open to ages 10+
- Characters from Mother Goose Land, such as Simple Simon, Jack, Jill, Little Bo Peep, Little Miss Muffet, Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater, Little Boy Blue, Tom Tom the Piper’s Son, Mary Had a Little Lamb, Jack Be Nimble, and others
- Toys that come to life (Soldiers, Dolls, Robots, and others)
Actors will play several roles.
“Babes in Toyland” is produced by special arrangement with The Dramatic Publishing Company of Woodstock, Illinois